Bedford Christmas Parade Gallery
Bedford Christmas Parade History
- First Bedford Christmas Parade was 1982.
- Parade is always the 1st Saturday of December at 6:00 p.m.
- December 2000 was the 1st night time lighted Bedford Christmas Parade.
- The parade was renamed Bedford Festival of Lights Christmas Parade in 2000.
- Largest lighted Christmas Parade in southern Indiana.The parade is organized by the BRI Parade Committee with a Chairperson leading the Committee. This committee is through Bedford Revitalization, Inc. (BRI) and the City of Bedford. The committee organizes the two city parades: 4th of July Limestone Heritage Parade and the Bedford Christmas Parade.
- The Committee volunteers their time and talents to the parade.
- Besides the Committee we have other groups and people that contribute to the organizing of the Parade.
- The Parade Committee works to get surrounding businesses to help sponsor the parade with monetary donations.
- The Grand Marshal and a Parade theme are chosen by the committee each year for both parades.
- Each entry has to have Christmas lights on it.
- We have over 100 entries each year. Lot of them are returning parade entries.
- Hundreds of adults and children line the streets of Bedford, in all kinds of weather, to watch the lighted entries march down the streets. The lights shine in the eyes of the children. The Christmas Parade delights spectators of all ages.
- Santa always arrives at the end of the parade to the delight of the children and goes to a location after the parade to visit with the children.
- We offer Free Horse & Buggy Rides around the downtown square before the parade.
- This year the Bedford Christmas Parade will be on Saturday, December 3rd and the theme is “Decades of Christmas."
2016 Bedford Christmas Parade Rules
No parade unit will be allowed in the parade line-up without a properly completed entry form submitted before the deadline noted on the official Entry Form.
2. No sirens or other forms of horns that emit loud piercing sounds will be allowed during the parade.
3. All parade units must be decorated according to the Parade theme or Christmas theme. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE LIGHTED ENTRIES TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS PARADE See 3A and 3B for additional information.
3A. If a generator is being used to provide power to run the entry, 16/3 AWG (min size) power cords are required, and please be sure to have extra fuel in an approved container on your float or towing vehicle. An approved ABC fire extinguisher will be required. A Fire Marshall will inspect all entries using a generator during the lineup. Those not complying with this safety precaution will not be allowed in the parade. For safety reasons, do not attempt to refuel your float while it is in motion or during the parade itself - refueling is permissible only before the start of the parade.
3B. An approved ABC fire extinguisher is required for any float or other entry using gasoline or other flammable substance.
4. A clearance shall be maintained around equipment that gets hot when running for the following: ordinary combustibles (paper, wood, plastic, etc.) of not less than three (3) feet and not less than ten (10) feet for approved fuel containers.
5. Anything deemed to be a potentially dangerous situation by the fire inspector, you will be required to correct.
6. Entries are NOT permitted to throw candy, literature, or any other items from a moving parade unit. If you do have something to pass out it must be handed out while walking. This is for the safety of spectators as well as participants and will be strictly enforced.
7. Do not leave your parade entry in the lineup area until you are properly placed by a Lions Club member.
8. Please do not fall behind. Maintain the same spacing, no more than 40’ gap, behind the unit in front of you as you had when you were released from the parade formation site.
9. Walkers must be with a vehicle or float and be able to keep up with parade flow. If not they need to get on their float or vehicle.
10. No stopping to perform during the parade, except for the Judges stand on the corner of 16th and “I” Street.
11. The parade route will be same as last year’s parade. Make sure you finish the entire route….turn right on Lincoln, go to 13th Street and turn left and then turn left back onto “M” Street. Visit www.downtownbedford.org for Parade Route Map & Line up #’s (posted by Wednesday November 30th)